Better Homes and Gardens:
Served on hearty bread and dripping with Swiss cheese, this unusual onion burger is sure to hit your taste-bud target with each and every bite. With the addition of kale, the sandwich also hits a nutritional mark with a bit of Vitamin K.
Bulls-Eye Onion Burgers
Featured Recipe From: Better Homes and Gardens Ultimate Low-Calorie Cookbook
Yield: 4 Servings
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 10 Minutes
Total Time: 30 Mintues
- 1 large sweet onion, such as Vidalia or Walla Walla
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 slices reduced-fat Swiss cheese (3 ounces)
- 8 red and/or green kale leaves, stems removed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 3/4 -inch slices crusty country bread or Texas toast, toasted
- Peel and cut onion into four 1/4 -inch-thick slices. (Reserve the remaining onion for another use.) Shape ground meat into four 1/2 -inch-thick patties. Sprinkle with garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Press 1 of onion slices into the center of each patty; press edges of meat against onion, keeping top of onion flush with the surface of the meat patty.
- For a charcoal grill, grill meat patties, onion sides up, on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 10 to 13 minutes or until meat is done (160°F), turning once halfway through grilling. Top meat patty with cheese during the last 1 minute of grilling. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place meat patties on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.) Brush kale leaves lightly with oil; add to grill the last 1 to 1 1/2 minutes of grilling.
- To serve, place 2 of the kale leaves on each bread slice. Top with a burger, onion side up.
Nutrition facts per burger: 321 cal., 10 g total fat (4 g sat. fat), 78 mg chol., 387 mg sodium, 22 g carb., 2 g dietary fiber, 34 g protein
© 2011 Meredith Corporation
Reprinted with permission from Better Homes & Gardens Ultimate Low-Calorie Cookbook, by Better Homes and Gardens (John Wiley & Sons, Inc.)