Recipe for Easy Caramel-Apple Bars from Betty Crocker Cookbook: Box Tops for Education Special Edition
Thanks to here (contest ends 1/27/14).to one lucky Cooks&Books&Recipes reader. Be sure to enter the giveaway
Easy Caramel-Apple Bars [2 box tops]
Yield: 36 bars
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 55 minutes
- ½ cup cold butter
- 1 pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) Betty Crocker oatmeal cookie mix
- 1 egg
- 1 cup finely chopped peeled apple
- ¾ cup caramel topping
- ¼ cup Gold Medal all-purpose flour
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Spray bottom only of 13×9-inch pan with cooking spray. In large bowl, cut butter into cookie mix using fork or pastry blender. Stir in egg until mixture is crumbly.
2. Reserve 1½ cups cookie mixture. Press remaining cookie mixture into bottom of pan. Bake 15 minutes. Sprinkle apple evenly over crust. In small bowl, mix caramel topping and flour; drizzle over apples. Sprinkle reserved cookie mixture over apples.
3. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely, about 2 hours. Cut into 9 rows by 4 rows.
Empire, Regent and Spartan apples are good choices for baked apple desserts. Skip the cooking spray and line the pan with foil for quick cleanup and easy bar removal.
1 Bar: Calories 100; Total Fat 3.5g (Saturated Fat 2g; Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 10mg; Sodium 90mg; Total Carbohydrate 17g (Dietary Fiber 0g); Protein 1g. Exchanges: ½ Starch, ½ Other Carbohydrate, ½ Fat. Carbohydrate Choices: 1