Mushroom-Stuffed Chicken recipe from $3 Chicken Meals: Delicious, Low-Cost Dishes for Your Family cookbook by Ellen Brown
Author Ellen Brown:
Delicate sauteed mushrooms enhanced with herbs become a flavorful mixture to stuff under the skin of chicken pieces. It adds as much flavor as marinating without the time needed to complete the process.
THE RECIPE. This mushroom-stuffed chicken really did take, at most, 20 minutes of “active time” to prepare. And we had all of the ingredients on hand, with no need to stop by the grocery store for that one missing ingredient. Perfect for a weeknight.
THE RESULT. We prepared this slightly differently than in the recipe, but not intentionally. We started off by cooking this on the grill, but after a grill malfunction, we finished baking the chicken in the oven. And honestly, we’d recommend doing so. The stuffing and roasted chicken aroma filling the kitchen was part of the success of this dish. The other plus was the tenderness of the chicken, moist but perfectly cooked throughout. We did try leftovers of the mushroom-stuffed chicken cold the next day (see the recipe Note), but in our opinion, the stuffing is much better warm from the oven (or grill?).
Featured Recipe From: $3 Chicken Meals: Delicious, Low-Cost Dishes for Your Family
Yield: 4-6 servings
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 40 mins
- 4-8 chicken pieces of your choice (breasts cut crosswise in half or thighs) with skin and bones
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 shallot, peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, wiped with a damp paper towel, trimmed and chopped
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Prepare a medium-hot grill. Rinse chicken and pat dry with paper towels.
2. Heat butter and oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallot and garlic, and cook for 1 minute. Add mushrooms, and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until mushrooms soften and liquid has almost evaporated. Add sherry, parsley, and thyme, raise the heat to high, and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove the skillet from the heat, and stir in bread crumbs. Season stuffing to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Insert a few tablespoons of stuffing under the skin of each chicken piece, and sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
4. Grill chicken, covered, starting with skin side up, for 8-10 minutes per side, or until dark meat registers 165 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer. Remove chicken from the grill, and serve immediately.
Note: The chicken can be grilled up to 1 day in advance and refrigerated, tightly covered. Serve it cold, or reheat it in a 350 degree F oven for 12-15 minutes, or until hot.
© 2010 Ellen Brown
Reprinted with permission from $3 Chicken Meals: Delicious, Low-Cost Dishes for Your Family, by Ellen Brown (Lyons Press)