This recipe for slow cooker short ribs is from the cookbook, Money Saving Meals and Round 2 Recipes, by Sandra Lee.
Cooks&Books&Recipes Editors’ Notes
I realize the point of this cookbook is cost-savings. And I’m all for saving money. But that’s not what got my attention. The truth is that I love leftovers. To be more exact, I love pulling various leftovers out of the refrigerator and seeing what gourmet meal I can create from whatever I have on hand. I was intrigued by the very first recipe in this cookbook because, I have to admit, I never know what to do with leftover short ribs. And since we love slow cooker short ribs, we cook them often. But to get the delicious, ingeniously simple Round 2 recipe, you’ll need to check out the following post…
Here we’ll talk about the short ribs. Sandra’s recipe is very similar to the one I’ve come up with over the years: it’s crazy-simple, mustard-and-Guiness-beer tasty, and wonderfully satisfying. However, her recipe differs from mine in one major way: I use boneless ribs, whereas she specifies bone-in. Taste preferences generally fall emphatically into one camp or the other, so my advice is to try the recipe twice to discover where you’ll pledge your allegiance.
To round out this meal, Sandra Lee offers recipes for Mushroom Walnut Tarts (total cost: $4.06) and Ginger Spice Cake with Ginger Glaze (total cost: $3.94). The Round 2 recipe is Beef and Mushroom Soup.
Slow Cooker Short Ribs
Featured Recipe From: Money Saving Meals & Round 2 Recipes
Yield: 4 Servings
Total Time: 8 Hours
- 1 tbsp. canola oil $0.03
- 3 pounds bone-in beef chuck short ribs $13.47
- 2 medium onions, peeled and quartered $0.56
- 2 medium carrots, cut into large chunks $0.32
- 2 medium parsnips, cut into large chunks $1.00
- 2 medium turnips, peeled and cut into large chunks $1.00
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary $0.04
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme $0.04
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley, stems and leaves separated $0.02
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce $0.02
- 1 tbsp. spicy brown mustard $0.04
- 1 (12-ounce) dark stout beer, such as Guinness $1.83
- Kosher salt $0.00
- Black pepper $0.00
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the oil. Season the short ribs with salt and pepper. When the oil is hot, brown the short ribs, in batches, until they are browned on all sides, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- While the short ribs are browning, place a layer of onion and carrot pieces into the bottom of a slow cooker and season them with salt and pepper. Place the browned meat on top. Add the remaining onions and carrots along with the parsnips and turnips. Tie together the rosemary and thyme with the parsley stems and add them to the pot along with the Worcestershire and mustard. Pour over the stout and add enough water to almost cover the contents. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or until the meat is very tender.
- To serve, carefully remove the meat and vegetables from the slow cooker. Strain the juices. (Skim off the fat and reserve 1 cup of the juices and one short rib for Round 2 Recipe: Beef and Mushroom Soup.) Serve the ribs with the juice and garnish with chopped parsley leaves.
Total Cost $18.37/$4.59 per person
© 2011 SLSH Enterprises, Inc. www.sandralee.com
Reprinted with permission from Sandra Lee Money Saving Meals & Round 2 Recipes, by Sandra Lee (Hyperion)