Recipe from The Vegetarian Kitchen Table Cookbook: 275 Delicious Recipes, by Igor Brotto and Olivier Guiriec
Zucchini Flowers with Ricotta Filling and Balsamic Vinegar
Featured Recipe From: The Vegetarian Kitchen Table Cookbook: 275 Delicious Recipes
Yield: 4 servings
Total Time: 25 minutes
- Pastry bag fitted with medium plain tip
- Baking sheet, lined with parchment paper
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) ricotta cheese
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) grated vegetarian-friendly Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 small bunch fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- salt, pinch
- freshly ground nutmeg, pinch
- 16 zucchini flowers
- Traditional balsamic vinegar (see Tip)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C)
- In a saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add tomatoes and cook, stirring, until very soft, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine ricotta, Parmesan, egg yolk, parsley, salt and nutmeg. Spoon into pastry bag and pipe into zucchini flowers.
- Place stuffed flowers on prepared baking sheet, at least 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart. Bake in preheated oven until filling is hot, about 15 minutes.
- Divide tomato sauce equally among four individual serving plates. Serve flowers warm on top of sauce, sprinkled with a few drops of balsamic vinegar to taste.
Tip: In this recipe we use certified traditional Italian balsamic vinegar. Its authenticity is protected by consortiums in Modena and Reggio Emilia.